Everyone feels better when we’ve had a bit of sunshine on our face, but as we all know this isn’t necessarily good news for our skin. While a few rays can top up our Vitamin D levels to give our bones and muscles a boost, too much sun isn’t good for us. A glowing tan looks great, but at what price? Looking like you’ve just stepped off a yacht in San Tropez often only lasts as long as the duty free, but the damage can last a lifetime. Age spots, for example, can be brought on by too much sun and although they generally appear in older skin, the more unprotected sun exposure, the earlier skin discolouration appears. Because the skin on our face in particular is sodelicate, over time these areas can develop concentrated patches of melanin altering the pigmentation (and appearance) of our skin. Our laughter lines can also be a tell-tale sign of having not looked after our skin as well as we should. By protecting ourselves from harmful rays, we can reduce the likelihood of lines and age spots without missing out on the summer fun.
A healthy summer skincare regime is as important as buying this season’s latest tankini, which is why these five top tips should keep you beach ready without compromising on your skin care.
- Get protected – use a good quality sun protection factor as a sun screen, even if you’re wearing makeup. Look out for SPF of 30 or higher.
- Put your goggles on. The trendy oversized sunglasses that everyone’s wearing these days not only look stylish, but are great for protecting your eyes and the delicate skin around them.
- The sun has got his hat on and so should you. A wide brimmed hat not only looks fabulous, it’s a wonderfully elegant mobile sun shade too. All of the chic with none of the wrinkles!
- Eat well. Don’t forget that what we put inside ourselves can help protect the outside too. By eating a diet that’s rich in fruit and veg will provide us with vital antioxidant compounds which can reduce the damaging effects of sunshine.
- Fake it. If your skin is a lighter tone or you just don’t want to take the risk, why not apply some fake tan for that sun kissed look? It’s by far the safest way to look happy and healthy in the summer months.
So whether you’re heading for Marbella or Weston Super Mare, remember to look after your skin at all times and enjoy the summer sun safely.